Wednesday 19 September 2012

Screams

When growing up, I did not believe in evil, or anything non-human. I was never afraid of things as easy as others, nothing ever got to me. I always believed that Halloween was the most obscene holiday of all, why? There cannot be evil lurking around, waiting for you, or so I thought. I keep to myself a lot, I always have. It’s nice to be by yourself, doing the things you want, not having to hear about other peoples problems, or issues. I often travel, I run a blog about visiting un-mapped places. Those places are a great place to get away, be by your lonesome. My blog isn’t well known,famous, only a few people go on it, of course they are the people who like to be alone, like me, but these or people are socially deprived and don't have the guts or the permission from their parents to leave the basement and venture out to the real world to explore. I was working hard one night, getting weary of trying to search for unmapped places, because afterall, they are unmapped. It was about 3:45 am, I've had at least 4 cups of coffee, and thats when I came across this place. It wasn’t like every other unvisited place, this place was beautiful. The picture showed green scenery exploding around a medium sized, hand-crafted wooden resort. Most resorts were broken-down, rain-ruined, slack and have the kind of front desk assistants that you feel like are watching your every move when you are there. I needed to go to this place, something was calling me here, it was too mesmerizing to pass up. I jotted down the address, grabbed my already packed suitcase with all my clothes from the trip before-hand, and grabbed my keys. This place, like the others was in the middle of nowhere, rarely ever seen, but why would something so beautiful be hidden? For how long has it been? I was about to find out. I was about 2 and a half hours driving, when I came to a sign that read "Quick Valley Resort" which was followed by a what seemed to be long road. It took a 10 minute drive straight and there was a sharp turn, pulling me up to the resort. It was just as marvelous as the picture, as if it was untouched, exactly what the photograph showed, barely a leaf fell off a tree. There was about 5 parking spaces, all unfilled, until I came along. I got out, grabbing my suitcase and dragged it along with me. I wanted to know what this place offered, it gave it a great feeling, a less empty feeling, not that I felt empty from being alone all the time, but this felt like I wasn't alone, and I liked it. The air was fresh, and clean, as I stumbled up to the front door, no one seemed to be around. I proceeded to go in. The fresh air followed me inside, to odd brown tinted brick walls, and a common wooden desk, with a lamp, and a rack of key's and numbers behind it. Small decorations were placed throughout the room, followed by large wooden stairs, leading to the rooms. Nothing seemed out of place, everything spotless, and perfect. I went up to the desk, setting down my worn-out suitcase, and knocked on the desk. I continued to examine all the perfectness I was in. I quickly turned back around, seeing a young women, only in her 20's, with a knit pink shirt on, which brought out her baby blue eyes, and brown hair. Her features were perfect, and small freckles fell across the top of her nose. She smiled at me gently, not surprised there was someone there. "Welcome to Quick Valley Resort, would you like to make a reservation?" she said with a small, kind voice. "Yes, thank you." I replied. I wrote down my name in the book, and she turned to grab a room key. I had gotten room three. "Room 3 is one of our better rooms, you are lucky to have it." the young lady whispered. I smiled, and said, "Do you get many guests here?". "Well, that depends on what you mean by many" she replied, finding the question comical. I smiled again, and picked up my suitcase. "Oh! Let me get that for you sir." she said as she rushed to pick it up. I figured the suitcase was bigger than her. "You really don’t need too.." I replied, but she insisted. We walked up the wooden stairs, barely a creek as we stepped upon each step. She guided me to room three, and I unlocked the door for her in a hurry, feeling sorry for her carrying my suitcase. When I stepped into my room, it was crisp and clean, it had off-white blue walls, with wooden casing around the edges, a queen bed, with floral sheets, and two night tables on each side. To the left there was a door to a washroom, and beside the door. The room also of course had a old wooden dresser, and a small area to sit. There was 2 windows, showing you out to the backyard, which happen to have a small garden, and a pathway leading through the thick green trees. "What is through those trees?" I asked, I was very curious. "Oh, you will see tonight" the girl replied with enthusiasm. She then left, and I got comfortable in my room. I went to the bathroom, looked in the mirror, to see how worn-out and tired I looked, forgetting I still had no sleep and was running on 4 cups of pure caffeine. I jumped into the shower, pondering on what would be happening tonight, and what I would be seeing through that path. When I was finished in the shower, I walked back out to my room, noticing the note lying on my bed, it read; "At 7:30 sharp, please meet me out at the garden, as I will be showing you a wonderful act by some kids by the nearby town that happens only on odd nights, it is something very wonderful to see, you will not want to miss it, sincerely, Alice." I checked to see the time, it only being 2:36 pm, I decided to reward myself with a nap, seeing as I was completely played out. When I woke up, it was already 7pm, and I needed to get ready. I was unsure of what to wear, so I hauled on some normal jeans and a button up shirt, hauled on my shoes, and brushed my bed hair down. I ventured out to the garden, no one was around. I wanted to peek so bad and go down that path already, I could not wait any longer. Just then Alice, the lady from the front desk came out from the path, and signaled me to come with her. It was then getting dark, and she tugged on my shirt, guiding me down the path. "Close your eyes" she said in a soft voice. So I did. A few seconds later she said "Now open them." When I opened my eyes, there was a large stage set up, nothing special, it had chairs setting in front of it, for an audience, and onstage there was some stairs for people to be standing on. Alice took me to set down, and told me she would be right back, the show was starting soon. I looked around, trying to notice anything about what I would be seeing. The curtains then closed, and a slow melody began to play. I peered at the curtains, and they began to open. Rows of children, dressed in what seemed to be black pajamas, stood still, barely blinking, and then walked out, another kid, but with a skeleton costume on. I thought it was sweet some young kids, wanting to show their talent for people, but the skeleton costume sort of caught me off guard. The music began to get heavier and more serious, and the kids began to start singing a melody. All eyes on me, I could not break my stare from them, as they could not from me. The song seem to be going right through me, and I was not even there, I was just some thin air. The music, even louder, began to get more serious, and more strong, and the kids began to sing louder, and break into a roar. I still could not break my stare, and I could not move. Each child, staring deep into my soul, seeming to drain out everything in me. The music was not uncontrollably loud, and the children were now humming. They were like nothing I've ever seen, as if they were not real, or un-human. Their eyes began to almost light up, still not breaking their stare, when all of a sudden, a deadly scream, from each small mouth, came piercing my ears, and that is all I can remember. After that, I woke up in my car, setting outside the road in front of the "Quick Valley Resort" sign. I had a feeling inside which I could not describe, I don’t know how to begin to explain. It was uneasy and unsettling, and I feel like I needed to leave. I backed up my car and headed home. Had I fallen asleep? Did I dream all of that, and not even go to that resort? I looked in the passenger seat, not to find my suitcase, but a postcard from the resort, on the back, in red ink it said "Finally you learn, to believe in the things others do, but only after having them harm your soul." I was white as a ghost, I could feel it on my skin. I looked back at the road, and drove straight home. After that, I never will think twice about believing in something that is un-human or something that seems unreal to me, because I have seen evil, with my own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment